This slow cooker whole chicken dinner is a favorite in our household. I love it because it’s so incredibly easy to make and the kids love it because it’s simple yet so delicious. The chicken is fall-apart tender and the carrots and veggies are infused with so much flavor. This rotisserie style chicken dinner is an easy one-pot meal that is perfect any day of the week.
Make sure the chicken fits in your slow cooker and you place your onions underneath so that the chicken does not sit directly on the bottom of the slow cooker. It cooks perfectly and has a great color but does not have the crispy skin, which doesn’t bother us but if you want it that way just put it in a baking pan and broil it for 4-5 minutes. I like to serve this with a fresh green salad.
- 1 large yellow onion sliced in thick slices
- 1 4-5 lb. whole roasting chicken
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. thym
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper (I add this at the end)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- Add sliced onion to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Rub the olive oil all over the chicken.
- In a small bowl mix paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Rub spice mixture all over chicken including inside.
- Add pepper.
- Add lemon and garlic cloves inside the chicken.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Add carrots and potatoes around the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Dinner
- YIELD: 4-6
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 15 MINS
- PREP TIME: 15 MINS
- COOK TIME: 4 HOURS