It is finally fall weather here in Southern California and I am making stew at least once a week. This slow cooker beef stew with sweet potatoes is easy to make, healthy, and comforting. Chunks of beef stew and vegetables simmer away to a very flavorful dish. Searing the vegetables and beef before hand maximizes flavor. Regular or gluten free flour and Worcestershire sauce can be substituted for non-Paleo eaters.
- 1 tbs. avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3-3.5 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs coconut flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 3 carrots, halved, peeled, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tbs coconut amigos (Worcestershire sauce for non-Paleo)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add oil, garlic, onion, and celery to pan, and cook until soft.
- Add mixture to slow cooker.
- In same pan add beef stew meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 4- 5 minutes until meat is browned on all sides.
- Sprinkle flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Add beef stew meat to slow cooker and stir.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, thyme, parsley and bay leaf to slow cooker.
- Mix well.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
- Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Top with additional parsley to serve.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes (Paleo)
- YIELD: 6
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 20 MINS
- PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
- COOK TIME: 4 HRS